Thursday, September 13, 2007

On the Flag


My oldest friend (since 3 or 4 years old - yes dear friends for over 60 years) sent me a note recently on the American Flag. We grew up with, and still maintain, a reverence for our "tattered ensign". I responded with a picture of Our Flag unfurled from my apartment in Boston.

At the same time I was searching for how many different emotions have been stirred by its presence. One way is in the lines of lines of John Greenleaf Whittier:
"Shoot, if you must, this old gray head,But spare your country's flag," she said.A shade of sadness, a blush of shame,Over the face of the leader came;The nobler nature within him stirredTo life at that woman's deed and word;"Who touches a hair of yon gray head Dies like a dog! March on!" he said.
But that was written in 1864. At the time loyal Americans were in conflict with loyal Americans. Today we're in a conflict with forces far more alien, but, in spite of our strength, our delicate system is rife with inner plagues far worse than bullets or cannon.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I'm always at a loss these days when I see people who have little respect for their country or its flag. They're the first to scream about patriotism (as long as it's "patriotically" pointing out what's wrong with our nation) and the last to evidence it.

airforcewife said...

That's a beautiful picture there.

And I'll have to say that Kevin pretty much summed it up for me in his comment.